Sunday, December 7, 2008

Co-co-mo-lumbia

My Columbia experience has been, overall, pretty good. I have, for the most part enjoyed my classes and I have met a ton of people. I think I would enjoy everything a whole lot more if I lived in the city instead of an hour away. I feel like I don’t really have any real connection to the school other than the fact that I take classes. Although I have had enjoyable experiences in my classes, I am not really sure what I learned this semester. I really did not like my art history class, not because of the subject, but because my teacher was terrible and did not teach me anything. I have been doing lots of work though and that is good. I am really excited to be taking typography next semester. I am happy with the school and I have been doing my best to find ways to get more attached to the school. I have a few places that I love to go and they are my spots. I have a bench in grant park that I sit on, when its warm, and I really enjoy sitting in the Hokin gallery in the 623 building. I think I will really get to love the school when I live in the city next year. I love the city and I love the school and everything that goes along with them, except commuting. I really don’t know what else to write about Columbia, I really like it here and I just wish I were able to spend more time here.

2 comments:

AmandaLehner said...

I know exactly what you mean about not having a true connection since you don't live nearby. I live in the city, just the total opposite side of it. It still takes me an hour to get to school! It sucks, but I think it's worth it.

Jon White said...

Art history is never fun. The only thing a teacher can do in that class is make it a less painful experience when it comes to memorization of basically useless facts.