Mid-sophomore year at Columbia, and never have I once wanted my money back. Sure, it's pricey and sure there are a lot of annoying hoops you have to jump through to get from start to finish but it's worth it. It's worth and its the same regardless of what school you are at. I like the hoops, it makes me feel like there's an obstacle, something to get through, something to feel accomplished for after I'm finished. A lot of my friends did not return after freshman year and I understood why, it's not for everyone, but it is for me.
I wasn't a writer until I got to Columbia. It's something I always thought about and knew I would enjoy doing, but I needed guidance. I didn't know what I was doing and I believe I have found that direction I needed. Not only was I not a writer, but I didn't even know what kind of writing I liked to do. It wasn't until being at Columbia a full semester did I truly enjoy the art of Playwriting. I can consider myself both a writer and a playwright now. I have in my time here completed numerous short stories, but also an entire play. If not for Columbia I wouldnt have had A.) the tools neccessary for the craft of writing and B.) I wouldn't have the actual drive to do it. This school is a place for people who care about their work, nobody is going to make you live it or love it, it has to come from within, and that's what I like. The only pressure you get is the pressure from yourself. If you don't love it, than leave it. If you love it, and it works for you and you work for it, stay. I've got a good thing going here and I am truly content with my college experience, which is something a lot of college students can't say.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment