Monday, November 17, 2008

If I Were President...

If I were president, I would probably suck at it. It is the most important job in the entire world and I know for a fact that I would not be able to take on the responsibilities that come along with the title. For the sake of this essay however, I’ll talk about something that I would attempt to enforce; strictly American citizens having the right to vote in this country. I do not believe that non-citizens should be given the right to vote in any election in this country. It’s not like an American citizen can go to another country and vote. I believe that if you would like to vote in America then you should take the necessary steps to become a citizen. I do not have a problem with any immigrants who legally become American citizens. My ancestors did it in the early 1900s and many people still continue to do it every single day. I understand that ‘times have changed,’ but many of my friends and their parents have legally immigrated to America from many places across the globe including Palestine, Greece, Mexico, Ireland, and Guatemala. Each of them have earned their way here and have made something from the nothing that they came with. Even though America is nowhere near flawless, I believe that it's still the greatest country in the world and we should all treasure the rights that are so easily overlooked by many of us, including voting and especially freedom of speech that allows us to all write these essays without fear.

This music video that i posted below has doesn't have anything to do with immigration (it's mostly about war), but it does have to do with what Wyclef Jean would do if he were to be president.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTARsZ00AQ

No comments: