Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Public Education Needs a Change.

If I were elected as America's next president tomorrow, I'm not sure what I would change.  I think I would make everything more fair.  I think the socio-economics of a country as big as America naturally unevens the playing field.  Few other countries deal with the diversity America does.  Money should be distributed more evenly and education should be better.  Its sad to know that Chicago public schools are some of the worst public schools in the country. It boils down to money essentially, these inner city schools get the short end of the stick because their parents can't afford private schools.  It makes me feel guilty when I think about how good of a high school I came from and that I go to a private school and to think how a percentage of high schoolers in Chicago may graduate without knowing how to read.  I think if money was better used in this country our schools wouldn't be in the condition they are in.  College wouldn't be as intangible for some if more money was devoted to education.  I would put money towards more arts and literature in American high schools today.  More after school programs and continuing education for adults.  Another big thing I'd change about American Education is Sex Education.  After taking a course on AIDS here at Columbia, its alarming how poorly teenagers are educated on sex before they leave high school. There are a lot of flaws in our public education system and as president, I'd try to fix them. 

No comments: