Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kosovo

If I was the president of United States I wouldn’t just have power in America, but also in some other parts of the world. Since US is a superpower it has a lot of influence on the rest of the world. Not just that, but this problem many other countries would also agree to solve, like Russia. Anyway, I know it is not in the US but it is in the part of the world where I come from, Europe and specifically Serbia. It is the Kosovo problem. For people that don’t know about this issue, Kosovo is a province in Serbia and is trying to get independence and become a new nation. So far it has been working for them, despite some countries refusal to recognize it. Kosovo has declared it’s independence illegally and breaking the UN Resolution 1244 that protects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Yugoslavia, present day Serbia. The majority of Kosovo’s population is Albanian and therefore it was easy to sick for independence. However I believe that majority can’t take away someone’s land if it’s unlawful. Kosovo is still a de-facto state and it is in the process of legal dispute. However, United States recognized the newly formed government and if I was the president I would change Americas opinion on this. It would have a great effect since the EU is partly divided on this ruling and Russia is against it. Kosovo is Serbia and considering history it is the cradle of our culture. I know if Albanians wouldn’t have American support it would all be different. 

No comments: