Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jade N Amey: Prez Elect . . .

Now, there are many things that I would do as president. One would be to legalize gay marriage and medical marijuana. Another would be to have stem cell research allowed and to go through with tax benefits that would be more beneficial for the working man as opposed to the rich man. (As you can see, I agree with Obama a lot).

But first and foremost, the first thing I would do is to LEGALLY separate church and state. Only because it is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I had a couple of problems with it when I was in high school.

For example, I was the chief photographer on the yearbook staff my senior year. The yearbook staff was in charge of the hallway displays, including the one in the lobby. During the holidays, our principal wanted us to put up a holiday display that exhibited all holidays for different religions; not just Christmas as we all had been familiar with in the past.

When our principal proposed this, not only most of the year book staff, but the whole school had a fit because "no one in our community is Jewish or Islamic". The fact is, the school had a couple of students from each religion, even some who practiced Wicca. My high school was so closed-minded about this, and it made me so mad.

Not only does church and state appear both in our school systems, it also is a basis of why a lot of laws are not passed, such as gay marriage. If it isn't approved or stated in the Bible, then it can't be done at all. It's not about religion; it's about two HUMANS, no matter what sex, gender, or sexual orientation he or she are, that are in love. Shouldn't everyone have that right if they are in love? The current laws on this make absolutely no sense, and it's mind boggling.

There are many other reasons as to why I would make the separation of church and state indefinite, but I don't want to bore anyone by composing a mad novel.

Jade N. Amey

No comments: