Sunday, November 9, 2008

Janine

I chose the piece "Janine", by Dave Anderson.  This photograph is part of his exhibit called "Rough Beauty".  "Rough Beauty" is a selection of photographs that Anderson took during his time spent in a small town called Vidor, Texas.  The town was mostly racist and had an active Klan.  All of the photographs are black and white.  

"Janine" is a photo of a woman holding her pet bunny.  The bunny is all white except for the ears, which are black.  The pet looks very relaxed and comfortable in its owner's arms.  The woman looks sweet and gentle towards the bunny.  The woman looks older and has wrinkles on her face.  The background of the photo is blurry, but a house is visible.

This photo gives off a happy feeling or emotion.  I chose this photo because it was one of the few photographs of the exhibit that showed an animal that looked like it was treated properly.  Some of the pets looked sad and neglected.  "Rough Beauty" really does describe the exhibit well because even though the town gave off a rough image, Anderson found beauty within.

1 comment:

AmandaLehner said...

I was also going to pick this picture (instead I chose 'Ray Wilson'). When I looked at this image, I saw that the animal was loved, unlike the rest of the neglected animals that Dave Anderson had taken photos of. Good choice.