I guess this is half make believe, half psychic on my behalf . . .
I was riding the blue line home from class today, like I normally do everyday after class or work. I'm one of those people on the train that once he or she get on, he or she glances around the car; looking to see if they know anyone (I think a lot of people do that). I didn't see anyone I recogonized today, but this one kid did stick out in my mind. He was sitting down, minding his own business, but for some reason I felt like I knew a lot about him. And I've never met this boy in my life.
I tried to watch him, nonchalantly, of course. He was wearing a bright yellow zip-up sweater with the hood flipped over his head. Under his hood, he had yellow hair. It was cut in a way that I knew a lot of kids from Michigan had their hair cut if they were in a hardcore 'screamo' band; meaning it was a little long and the layers were straightened yet jagged all over his head. He was also sporting girl jeans, like many boys I know in those bands back home. From this, I decided that he was from Michigan and that his name was Eric (no reason for that name). He was visiting some friends in Chicago for the week and he would be getting off at the Division blue line stop; one stop behind mine. He definitely was in a band; one of those bands that held local shows at one of the churches in my home county.
I also imagined that he was about 18 or 19, fresh out of high school but not in college because he was focusing on his music, which hadn't really gone anywhere since he left high school. Either way, he was determined to make it in the music business.
At one point, while cautiously watching him in his seat, he pushed up his sleeves. Low and behold, there was a Michigan tattoo. Right on his inner left arm. I was astonished with myself; how could I possibly know this? This happening made me more curious about him, so I studied him more intently. He was wearing skater shoes, and he also had a lip ring. As I studied him more, I become more convinced that he was from Michigan, but probably somewhere around the Port Huron area where all of these kids hang out. I had no way of knowing, but from past experiences I just assumed.
About 15 minutes have passed since I got on the train, and we were approaching Division and Milwaukee next. Eric begins to gather his back pack and starts to get out form his seat. Could he really be getting off at Division? As soon as the train stops and the door opens, Eric walks out onto the platform and walks up a set of stairs. I was excited; I knew so much about this kid, yet I have never met him. I chose the Division stop because I know a lot of people from Port Huron who live off of that stop, so I just assumed he would be getting off there because that's where his friends resided.
It's a little scary how I know my home area a little too well, even to the point where I imagine which people in Chicago are from there. I just happen to be right with some things on this one.
-Jade N. Amey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment