Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Zapp and Roger

When I listen to music, I am usually looking for something thats going to make me happy.  I want to hear something that is going to make me dance.  That music that just makes your heart bounce and beat to the rhythm.  The sound of good feeling that morphs your emotion into happy mode.  To achieve this feeling there's nothing else to listen to but Funk.

Funk has been around for quite a while.  I'm not sure exactly when the first funk band formed, or even who the first funk band is, but I do know that I am down with the funk.  No other music can completely overwhelm me with the urge to dance and let my personality flow from my body.  Honestly, it is like a drug to me.  I'm addicted and I don't wanna stop it.  When I hear the funk I nod my head, and when I hear the funk I dance.  Mostly, when I hear the funk I am happy.  Perfectly content with where I am at and what is going on.  There is no reason to be upset about anything, just let the funk take it away.  

Zapp and Roger has to be my most listened to by a mile.  They completely understood exactly how you should make funk sound and feel.  Every song has so much soul and feeling into it.  You can close your eyes and get lost.  Sometimes imagine what Zapp and Roger were thinking when they wrote this music.  to me it is amazing.  Coming from the very late 70's their sound was original and ahead of it's time.  They use a talk box, which to me is just ear candy.  There are many other funk bands worth listening to such as Earth Wind and Fire, The Gap Band, Cameo, Sly and the Family Stone, and many many more.  Although the end of Zapp and Roger ends in a tragic murder/suicide, I still love and listen to their music non stop.










No comments: