Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Flesh Architecture"

Spencer Tunick is what some might call a "flesh architect."  Tunick uses the classic nude model and raises the bar, not just one subject, several nude subjects.  I pulled this article from Slate.com mostly because everything on the NYT website was excruciatingly boring, when did the Arts section turn into a textbook? I chose this article because the subject [Tunick and his work] Were interesting and what's even more interesting is how little attention is being paid to his work, when on the Times page they have the longest article over an an exhibition that couldn't be less important.  Mr. Tunick has had a few HBO specials made about his work, he travels the world organizing mass nude shots.  In Mexico City he had his biggest installation; 18,000 nude men and women all arranged in the fetal position.  It doesn't even look like humans, it looks like the scales of a tan fish or something.  He has a few others that despite sounding novel are quite moving, such as a piece with naked humans on a glacier in Switzerland, to call attention to global warming.  Wierd to think that the only way to get human's attention are photos of other naked humans.  The final piece that I found to be so interesting but was rather disappointed that google image retreived no results for it, he did a piece for POZ magazine in which he took a photograph of 85 HIV positive men and women in a Manhattan restaurant for World AIDS Day 2004.  Its rich with symbolism and extremely in-your-face.  I think if more people didn't write off work like this we'd have more meaningful and envelope pushing art in our galleries today.  Humans rely on shock value and an article over secular mexican wood carvings is neither shocking nor interesting whatsoever, thanks NYT.  

2 comments:

michael.novak said...

This guy is sweet. I think the mass nudity gatherings that he organizes and photographs are really something cool. It is truly awesome art, i have seen it and it is totally in your face, i agree. i give him props for being so cool. totally awesome. -mike

David Sparacio said...

I saw the HBO special that you mentioned. It was cool how he would ask people to strip naked in public places, and then photograph them. It's different, yet sooooooooo fasinating.