Tuesday, October 28, 2008

War Vets

I read an art review of Nina Berman’s “Purple Hearts: Back From Iraq,” in the New York Times written by Holland Cotter. The disturbing portraits are of disabled veterans that have returned back to America after being in the Iraqi War. The audience of the art review can be anyone ranging from war supporters to war protesters. Cotter does however, try to sway the audience against the war by speaking highly of Nina Berman’s photographs. The article is easy to read and Cotter is very informative. Cotter uses the names of the people that were photographed to speak about the images and also writes about their thoughts on the war. Cotter does not compare the work to any other artist, because Nina Berman was the first of her kind. “She has said in interviews that she started photographing disabled veterans soon after the war began mainly because she didn’t see anyone else doing so.” Cotter speaks mainly about the people photographed in the artwork rather than the details of the artwork itself. The venue is mentioned, but once again, no details are given. I believe that the research that the author did was look at the pieces of art, interview the photographed people, and read about Nina Berman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/arts/design/22berm.html?scp=6&sq=art%20review&st=cse

1 comment:

Marko Grujic said...

I have no sympathy for those people, they chose to go to war themselves when they joined the army. I can see how it would be there to show people what reality really is. Maybe it will change peoples opinion about war