Saturday, September 6, 2008

Grandfather

If I had to choose one person who has been most influential to me, I would have to choose my Grandfather.  Now that he has passed I realize how much he has really shaped me into the person I am today.  When I was little, I would go to my Gpa's house after school.  We would set up my homework and work on it together.  I think he really enjoyed teaching me my homework because he never skipped a day.  As soon as we finished my homework we were always working on projects around the house.  While we were working just talking with my Gpa and hearing what his views were and how to be a good person taught me things that no one else could have. 
My grandpa grew up on a farm in Alabama and never really had much to call his own.  He never ever took anything he had for granite.  His father was an abusive person and took any money my Gpa would make.  When he was 17, he saved enough money to get a bus ticket and get away.  When he reached the town he ended up settling into he had $2.50 in his pocket.  He stayed in hotels and sometimes the street but he was always determined to succeed through hard work and honesty.  He eventually got a good job and married my Gma.  They adopted my Ma and took care of her as if she was theirs.  I think it takes a lot to get to were my Gpa ended up.  He lived a hardworking life and always appreciated everything he had.  I'm happy and honored to have had him as my Grandfather and to be able to learn from him.  He taught me to work hard and succeed, but always appreciate the things that you have.   

No comments: