Sunday, September 28, 2008

sub culture?

I guess i am part of a sub culture. I've never really thought about it. Most of my friends are of the "punk" sort. Some are affiliated with the street punk gang Chicago 77's. We do dress differently, I mean, the guys for the most part get ragged on for how tight their pants are. But in reality, nobody messes with any of us. I don't really get picked on at all. Most of my friends have tattoos covering their bodies, cut off jean vests, etc. We naturally draw attention to ourselves in public. Back home we would normally hang out at this place called "The Alley" which is not a store, but an actual alley where we would just sit, drink whiskey, and keep to ourselves. We always have each others backs. It sounds stupid, to most people anyways. I really think the "punk" culture is still thriving. People say that punk is dead, but it's not true. The music is still just as alive as it was in 1977. If not more so. I've got friends in bands, I've been to lots of rock & roll shows where kids just get along, and dance. Mind you yes, sometimes there are fights. But those are usually resolved in a snappy fashion. There's no specific place we hang out anymore. I'll run into them anywhere. As for wardrobe, I don't think i would feel right if i didn't have my DogPile brand stretch jeans. They've got a little red tag on the side with a white skull and cross-bones. Those were the first pair of super skinny pants that i bought when i was 13. 6 years ago. Before skinny pants were cool, and i got made fun of in junior high and the beginning of high school. I still wear them today, everyday. I had all different colors in my hair. I've had pink, red, blue, purple, platinum, black, and everything in between, except green. Green hair is just gross. I never though my friends and i were spectacles to be gawked at. I think ripped jean vests, patches, leather jackets, tons of buttons, super tights pants, creepers, and bandanas are normal. I'm not phased by tattoos or weird hair either. I think everyone knows that pretty much anyone associated with this "subculture" has a "fuck off" attitude, because honestly, most of us are pretty comfortable with who we are and what we do, therefore it comes off like "we don't give a shit". We have no problem punching someone in the face if it's for a legit reason. I'm not afraid to get dirt on my knees, but I'm not saying that I'm a tough ass either. We don't have a secret language or anything. We talk like regular human beings. We come off intimidating, but really I'm a nice girl. I can't speak for everyone in this subculture, but most of the kids I meet are nice kids, and my friends are nice kids. All in all, i wouldn't trade my life or my identity for the world. I love everything about it. 

1 comment:

simonpfloeter said...

"punks" do get a bad rep, but most of the "punks" that i know are like you said, normal nice kids