Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Sub-culture?
I really don’t know if I belong to a sub culture, I mean there are plenty I could say, but I feel like saying any of them would make me feel pretentions or like a poser. I could take the easy way out and say that I am part of the artist subculture, but who at Columbia couldn’t say that. I could say I am part of the “hard Core” sub-culture because I listen to that music, but I don’t really live in that culture. I guess the most applicable sub-culture that I am a part of would be the commuter culture. We all wake early and stand at the platform waiting for our public transit vessel, with coffee in hand, to scoop us up into our chaotic schedule. We all have backpacks of briefcases to carry out work that we can’t be without. Many of us tote around laptops and/or blackberries/ iphones to make sure that we can’t get un-hooked from our world. We type documents that we need to finish before the last stop. Impatiently we stand before the train stops at our destination, when the train stops we hurry out just to be sure we have time to pick up that second cup at starbucks. We don’t really talk on the streets, just headphones and tired faces. At the end of the day we all go in reverse, back to the trains, back to our homes, back to the work we didn’t do during the day. Coffee is less popular and often replaced with a 24 oz. Miller light. There is more talking than the morning and some people sleep. We are slightly less eager to exit the train, and then we hop in our cars or on our bikes and find our way home. Throw in some family time, maybe, then some sleep, a then repeat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
it's so true. it seems that people are happier when they are comin' back. they are done with all the work and the rest of the day is more to relax
Post a Comment