There are many people who influence me, so it was hard to pick just one. After thinking about this for a while, I decided to write about Delta Spirit. This band is out of LA, they're not very well known right now, but I have no doubt that they will be something big in the near future.
One reason I find this band influential is because if you listened to one of their records, you would think it is one of your grandfather's obscure folk-rock albums from the 1960s. They take from sounds of the 1960s and put them in a modern form. They are influenced by the same music I started out with, and that is one reason why I love them so much.
Not only are they talented musicians, their lead man Matt Vasquez is an amazing writer. His lyrics are about current social issues and he sings about them very passionately. In the song he wrote called 'Children', he sings about how parents tell their children to follow or not to follow a specified religion because either side will wash your brain with bad ideas. Towards the end of the song, he makes a point as the child; where he will make his own stand. He sings about this so passionately, and just listening to this is indescribable. If an artist can make me feel what he is feeling exactly just by the way he is singing a song, then he has me sold. It's rare for musicians to do this anymore. This influences me because I think there should be more artists like this known, and one thing I would like to work towards in my career is to find talent who are more like this. Artists that are so passionate about what they sing about; to the point where their audience can connect on a deep level with the song. It's a very powerful feeling.
- Jade N. Amey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment