Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Believe in Cubbies

On a perfect fall afternoon you can smell the hot dogs and beer, and hear the sound of people yelling, sticks hitting 5 gallon drums, and songs playing in the park.  Not a lot of things compare to the feeling of standing on the corner of Addison and Sheffield laughing at the scalpers and bums. I believe in a better life inside the ball park.  I believe in the unusual unity of all people who wear blue with a red "C" on the front.  It is the constant struggle to be the winner, and going through that struggle together that brings your soul into the game.  Its the ring of the organ and shuffling through people to get to my seat that gives me the most comfortable feeling of anxiety.  And the sound of the ball off the bat when the ball is low and inside on Soriano, and the roar of the crowd when the ball crosses the ivy that brings joy into my heart.  Its the determination of the crowd when the ball is thrown back on the field that keeps my hopes high.  I believe in the commitment of 100 years and ongoing faith to get there, and the high hopes even if we don't.  So when I close my eyes and hear santo on the radio, I know I'm alright. I believe in Cubbies.

No comments: