Sunday, September 7, 2008

Steve Jones

Ever since I can remember, I have always been interested in the arts. However, I always perceived art as a hobby. It was not until my senior year of high school, that I met the person who had the biggest influence on my life: my art teacher, Steve Jones. 
During high school I took all the available drawing classes I could ending with Independent Study my senior year. Independent Study proved to be very beneficial to me artistically and personally. Mr. Jones was different from all my other teachers. He cared about all of his students equally and gave all of us the freedom to break away from the structured projects of our previous art classes. He trusted us to create works of art that inspired us. At the beginning of the year, he mentioned the idea of pursuing art as a career. He took time to help me find careers that catered to all my interest. I did some research about art schools and came across Columbia College. I considered Mr. Jones my most influential  person because he constantly challenged me to succeed not only in my art classes but also in life. Mr. Jones never missed a day of class. I can honestly say that he loved his job, and stressed to all his students the importance of having a job you love.

No comments: