Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Bowling Place

The subculture I belong to would have to be the Wood Dale bowling alley. I have been bowling for many years and have been on different leagues. The bowling alley is a place that I can go to where I know I share a common interest with others. It is place I go to on a weekly basis that I look forward to, rather dread. The bowling alley has a special language. It is the bowling terminology that makes non bowlers confused when trying to have a conversation with them. I quickly realized that this is a sacred language where only people in the bowling alley fully understand. We use words and phrases such as: Brooklyn strike, turkey, the messenger, in the pocket, split, chopped it, ten pin, and solid strike. In bowling it doesn’t really matter how we dress. There are bowlers with hats, sunglasses, jewelry, sleeveless shirts, sweat shirts, long pants, and short pants. That is what makes this causal sport so unique. It is a sport where people don’t get out of breath, so there is plenty conversation. Bowling is a very social activity. In how many other sports can players can eat, drink, and casually talk? The bowling alley is a second home to me. When the bowling alley flooded just recently because of the heavy rains, it was so weird driving past the quiet, empty, dark building. However, it was reopened in just one week because of all the help received from the community. Our town would not be the same without the Wood Dale Bowl.

1 comment:

Jon White said...

I can defiantly see from your post how you really enjoy being at the alley. I had a similar experience as you the last time I went bowling and really wish that I could go back to an alley soon.