Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subculture
The definition of a subculture is a cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interest at variance with those of the larger culture. That’s exactly what high school was. I have lived in Naperville my entire life and I am proud to say that it is my hometown. On the outside Naperville has the appearance of being a stuck up rich suburb of Chicago. However, deep down it was a great place to grow up. On the other hand, Naperville also has its burdens. Although Naperville is a fairly large town, it is very close-knit. Strangers can tell right away that you are from Naperville by the way you dressed. Naperville is a very “preppy” town, which is a sharp contrast to the other surrounding towns. Elementary school kids walk around with designer purses and clothes. I change drastically when I was at school versus when I was at home. At school, I had to pretend to care about topics that normally I would not care about. At times I felt like the kids that went to my school, never realized that there is life beyond Naperville, IL. They were so wrapped up with the drama in our town that events happening in the United States and the World were not important. I’ve been told that my hometown has its own language on numerous occasions. However, I never really took it seriously until a stranger named the school I attended after I talked to him once. People who are on the outside of my high schools subculture, do not understand it. Majority of the students there have grown up with each other since kindergarten. Everyone has stereotyped us as spoiled brats that get everything they want, but that is very far from the truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i like this post because it seems pretty true to me. all of the naperville kids that i have met, seem to view life compared to naperville. my friends even call them "napervillians" because naperville is all they ever talk about.
Post a Comment